Brain injuries are serious injuries that often leave survivors with lasting effects. A brain injury may be permanent and may change your quality of life forever, or it may be short-term and have a decent prognosis for recovery.
Many people incur brain injuries without even realizing it; a car accident, sports injury, slip and fall or other type of accident can lead to a brain injury even if the event itself doesn’t seem particularly severe. Brain injuries can occur without a loss of consciousness, and may still cause lasting changes to behavior, brain function, memory, headaches or other long-term consequences.
In short: brain injuries are serious events with lasting medical consequences.
Brain Injury Types, Prognosis and Recovery
Brain injuries happen in many ways, and the manner in which a brain injury occurs may determine its type, prognosis and potential for recovery. Common brain injuries include:
- Concussion: caused by a blow to the head, and may cause blood vessels to stretch and nerve damage;
- Contusion: a bruise to the brain caused by a direct impact to the head;
- Diffuse axonal injury: caused by shaking or a strong rotation of the head, and often results in permanent vegetative state;
- Coup-contrecoup injury: a contusion that occurs under the site of the impact, and on the side of the brain opposite the area that was impacted;
- Penetration injury: caused by objects penetrating the skull and injuring the brain.
The severity and type of brain injury typically determines the long-term prognosis and likelihood of recovery. Mild and moderate brain injuries may still cause lasting consequences, and serious brain injuries often have no prognosis for recovery, and can be fatal.
Treatment and recovery may require rehabilitation, and may include adapted driving assessment and training, inpatient and outpatient services, community integration services, neuropsychological services and peer support and mentoring programs.
Let the Law Offices of Philip M. Cohen A.P.C. help with your greater San Diego area brain injury case. We understand the long-term implications and can make sure you get the best possible financial recovery. Call today for your free consultation.